handdator

Visa fullständig version : Need help regarding my ninja 250R, plz ;P

jojjebros
2013-02-08, 15:00
Hi guys!

My name is Joel and I just bought my first bike, a Ninja 250R!

I Bought it second hand from a insurance company because the previous owner had it "stolen" and demanded a full payout from them. After the 30 days of waiting and after paying him the full value of his bike the bike was found but he did not want it back instead of the money, lol. My guess is that the guy just hid the bike so he could get money to buy a bigger one :p

Anyways, i bought it from the insurance company for 2.500 $ witch i think is a steal for a 250R -09 mint condition ninja with under 2000 km on it!

The problem is i did not get any user manual with the bike and now i have some "noob" questions that need to be answered.

---------->SKIP TO THIS POINT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ MY STORY!<---------------

1. What kind of fuel should i feed her with? 95 or 98 oktan?

2. Its winter in Sweden and i have stored the bike in my summer house so its warm and comfy for it. Do i have to do anything to it before i start to ride it (except to insure it)? The guy who sold it to me said it was just serviced and the oil was changed. So can i just ride as soon as the ice melts of the roads?

3. How often do you recommend i change or refill(?) the oil? and do you change filter every time you change oil?

4. Is it bad to rev the engine high? Or is it ok as long you do not go into the red zone?

well that's whats on the top of my head right now. if you have any tips to add please feel free to do so!
I really appreciate all of your help :)

namn
2013-02-08, 15:19
http://www.motorpdf.com/kawasaki/kawasaki-ninja-250r-owners-manuals/

Can this link be helpful?

Ankan1
2013-02-08, 15:30
An owners manual to the bike would be great but if i didnt have any i should have done it this way ...

1. It probably works great on 95 oktan but i would have driven the bike on 98 oktan.

2. When the roads are safe from ice and the temperature is some more comfy hit the road.

3. I would have change the oil at least every 600 "Swedish" miles and the oil filter every time.

4. Reving the engine to the red stop when driving isnt bad for the engine as long as it dont gets to be an regular driving style.

And what about the noob questions ... if they not already are answered. :D

jojjebros
2013-02-08, 15:32
wow! thx a lot man!

Wow how do you interprete this though:

Fuel Min 91 Research/87 Avg. Oct. Unleaded O

so everething above 91 oktan is ok?

so i can fule it with like 95 okt from OKQ8?

Ankan1
2013-02-08, 15:45
wow! thx a lot man!

Wow how do you interprete this though:

Fuel Min 91 Research/87 Avg. Oct. Unleaded O

so everething above 91 oktan is ok?

so i can fule it with like 95 okt from OKQ8?

...YES ... The bike engine is probably made to also run in countries with low oktan, thats why the builder have it cleared to as low as 91 oktan.But running it on 95 oktan makes it work better in the long run.Anyway i dont think you find any lower oktan than 95 oktan in this country as long as you dont starve it out on the open road and gets som funny stuff in the tank from some nice farmer. :D

jojjebros
2013-02-08, 15:49
...YES ... The bike engine is probably made to also run in countries with low oktan, thats why the builder have it cleared to as low as 91 oktan.But running it on 95 oktan makes it work better in the long run.Anyway i dont think you find any lower oktan than 95 oktan in this country as long as you dont starve it out on the open road and gets som funny stuff in the tank from some nice farmer. :D

would i gain ANYTHING from buying 98 instead of 95? More HP, more MPG, better for motor etc.
What do you recommend? 95 is cheaper so it would be better for my wallet but i don't want to destroy the engine...

Ankan1
2013-02-08, 16:02
would i gain ANYTHING from buying 98 instead of 95? More HP, more MPG, better for motor etc.
What do you recommend? 95 is cheaper so it would be better for my wallet but i don't want to destroy the engine...

Well, lets say it like this.If it would have been my bike i would have driven it on 98 oktan.You gets a smother run for the engine when you are reving the bike on higher rpm even if there most probably are other bikers on the forum who would have cleared it on 95 oktan.The choice its up to you.Some humans still run there computers with Windows 98 and others couldnt live without Windows 7.But in the end of the day they both still works great depending on who of these two you ask. :deal:

jojjebros
2013-02-08, 16:09
Nicely put!
Windows 7 it is then.
And i will never mix my own fuel of 97 okt. if its = Vista :P

Tjita1
2013-02-08, 16:30
There are still some gas stations out there that provides 96 octane gasoline. They're getting more and more rare though.. On the other hand, 98 octane is getting rarer as well, as it nowadays is mandatory for the oil companies to provide a renewable option, usually being ethanole (E85), on a defined percentage of their stations. The station owners then use their old 98 tanks and pumps for E85 instead, so they dont have to bury new tanks in the ground.

On no 2 I would say make a complete safety check. Might also be a good idea to put fresh gas in the tank, as it tends to get old.

TMax500
2013-02-08, 17:10
Anyways, i bought it from the insurance company for 2.500 $ witch i think is a steal for a 250R -09 mint condition ninja with under 2000 km on it!Sounds like a bargain. I would have bought it too for such a sum. *I like the Ninka 250. I don't need one, but I like it. Could have bought it just because it looks so good! :)*

The guy who sold it to me said it was just serviced and the oil was changed. So can i just ride as soon as the ice melts of the roads?"Said" - no documentation? Since it was an insurance company, perhaps you could get a copy of the service bill? It will be very useful to have if you should want to sell the bike later. A good service record makes a huge difference in the second hand value (third hand :-) of your bike.
Perhaps you could ask your local Kawasaki dealer for a new service book to document your up-coming servicing points? *I'm a big fan of service dokuments. They give a hint of how well (or bad) the owner has taken care of the bike.*

When the ice melts, go for it! But take care... Cool roads/cool tarmac + cool tyres = Miserable traction!

And be sure to wash the bike afterwards in the early season. The salt from the roads can be a bike killer. Particulary alloy parts, brakes, rims that can be badly affekted by the road salt.

PS. I use 98/99 octane when available. I'm not sure it really makes a difference, but it feels better... :) 95 is absolutely no problem. The metaphore on Windows sounded good. Windows 8 or XP - both of them get the job done!

jojjebros
2013-02-08, 17:32
"Said" - no documentation? Since it was an insurance company, perhaps you could get a copy of the service bill? It will be very useful to have if you should want to sell the bike later. A good service record makes a huge difference in the second hand value (third hand :-) of your bike.

Ye I asked him about it so he just found some Kawasaki service book in the garage and gave me a stamp in it :)
I guess tats good for second hand value but it doesn't make me anymore assure of weather he serviced it or not XD
But if your suppose to service it every 600 Swedish miles like someone said, its about 400 miles left ;P

When the ice melts, go for it! But take care... Cool roads/cool tarmac + cool tyres = Miserable traction!
!

I kind of noticed XD
http://www.bike.se/sites/default/files/imagecache/forum_image_full/img_0567.jpg

Anyways thx for the great responses guys!

Tjita1
2013-02-08, 17:38
Regarding oil changes, it's considered wise to change the oil before you put the bike away at the end of the season, as it accumulates moisture (condensation). It's also good to either fill the tank up completely or run it completely dry, so you don't get condensation in the fuel.